24 September 2013

Week 39 2013

Tendring Topics……….on line

The Kindness of Strangers

          The newspapers and the radio and tv news bulletins are full of stories of human folly and wickedness; of senseless slaughter in the Middle East (can either side of the conflict in Syria really believe that any possible ending will be worth the death, destruction and human misery that is taking place daily in that unhappy country?) of robbery, fraud, neglect and abuse of children and of the old and disabled. They record the triumph of selfishness and greed. It is easy for very old people like me to despair of humanity and to fear the future; not for ourselves but for our grandchildren and their grandchildren.

            I try to tell myself that it is the exception that makes the news; that the time to get really worried is when acts of kindness and generosity are so rare that they make the headlines in the press and the ‘lead story’ on the tv news bulletins. Just occasionally though, something happens that makes me realize that, despite the gloomy headlines and the news stories of violence, cruelty and greed, most people are not a bit like that.  They’re kind and helpful and generous.  They really do try to treat other people as they themselves would like to be treated. .

            I had such a moment on Monday of last week.  I had written a letter to a friend of mine in Brussels.  There were a couple of enclosures to go with it and I had no idea what it would cost to send.  The days when I could stroll along to the Post Office are long past.  Supported by my stick I took the half dozen steps to my shed, mounted my mobility scooter (my ‘Iron Horse’!) and drove the few hundred yards from my home to Magdalene Green Post Office.  There I dismounted, retrieved my stick from its holster and stepped inside.  I had forgotten that Monday was ‘benefits day’.   There was a queue.  I took my place and slowly shuffled forward.  The queue was being dealt with very efficiently and I don’t suppose that I had queued for longer than fifteen minutes before I realized that I had stood for as long as I was able to. I had to sit down or collapse! There was a chair nearby and three people ahead of me in the queue; a youngish woman with a toddler, a middle-aged man with several parcels and an elderly lady who was, I thought, probably drawing her pension.  I told them that I wasn’t trying to jump the queue but would they mind if I sat in the chair until it was my turn to be served? They agreed and I thought it likely that I’d have about another ten or fifteen minutes to wait.

I was totally astonished when the counter clerk became available and called for the next customer.  All three of those who were before me in the queue urged me to take their place and go first. My business at the counter took no more than two minutes. It had been a spontaneous act of kindness and thoughtfulness towards an old man with walking stick whom none of them knew – but it really was deeply appreciated.   There were tears in my eyes as I thanked them for their kindness.

We humans aren’t just half-trained animals, motivated only by greed and self-interest as politicians seem to imagine.   There really is – as we Quakers maintain – a divine spark deep within the personality of each one of us, just waiting to be transformed into a warm, friendly and generous flame.

Out of the Tax system?’

I don’t grudge Nick Clegg his minor triumph over the provision of free school meals for all children in the first three classes of primary schools.

It was only to be expected that some would complain about having to help pay to feed other people’s kids – many of those other people being much better off than they are.  Young people, struggling to bring up a family, might equally complain about having to pay for the benefits enjoyed by well-off pensioners.  I can see the difficulties and injustices that would arise if every benefit were to be means-tested.  Pride would prevent some needy folk from applying.  Poor children getting free school meals would be stigmatised by their fellows. Children can be cruel to each other. But there is one ‘means test’ to which we are all subjected – our income tax assessment.  The state retirement pension is taxable. Those pensioners who, like me, have a supplementary pension from former employment, or some other source of income, know that the state retirement pension is added to it and becomes taxable income.

I can see no reason why all universal benefits – children’s allowance, job seekers’ allowance, winter fuel allowance, free tv licence, housing benefit, attendance allowance and so on, should not be similarly taxable.  The really poor would continue to get their full benefit.  The better off would pay back some of it in tax and the really wealthy would pay the highest rate of tax on it.  Even with our tax system as it is at present it would bring some welcome cash back into the Treasury (to help with that deficit!)  It would be fairer than the current system and no-one would suffer real hardship. Income tax has never yet made anyone hungry or homeless. I am surprised that this idea hasn’t already been embraced by our cash-hungry chancellor.

If, of course, the income tax system were to be reformed so that we all – rich and poor alike – paid an equal percentage of our gross income (before thousands are siphoned off into charitable trusts, tax havens and the like!) as income tax or – as I prefer to think of it – as our annual membership fee for British citizenship, the system would be fairer still.  What’s more, I believe that the indirect taxes (VAT, customs duties and so on) that disproportionately penalise the less-well-off could be reduced or even eliminated.  

I very much deplore Nick Clegg’s claiming that the coalition government has benefited low earners by raising the level of income at which income tax becomes payable ‘and taking millions out of the tax system altogether!’ This perpetuates - or tries to perpetuate – the myth, fostered by much of the press, that the only really burdensome tax is income tax.  It divides society into two antagonistic classes – the taxpayers, whose hard work and enterprise keep a parasitic underclass of non-taxpayers in comfort and, in many cases so they claim, in idleness.

Raising the level at which income tax is payable is often presented as helping only the very poorest in society. It isn’t. Raising that level affects and benefits every income tax payer from those who only just become liable for income tax, to the seriously wealthy with an income (I hesitate to say ‘earnings’!) of a million pounds or more a year.  Nor is it true that those who are not liable for income tax pay no taxes to the government.  Since the Thatcher years there has been a shift from direct taxation (income tax, death duties and so on) to indirect taxes such as VAT and customs duties.  The tax is the same for rich and poor alike but the VAT payable on, for instance, a repair to the family car or essential maintenance to the home, makes a far greater dent in the budget of someone with a low income than it does on those of the wealthy.

There’s one source of revenue for the government that comes almost exclusively from the poor.  That is the quite small amount that goes with the purchase of every lottery ticket and every scratch card.  Lots and lots of tiny payments come to a very considerable sum of money.  Even the very poor feel able, as I once heard a Government Minister put it, ‘to have fun on the lottery’.  It is their one, albeit very very remote, chance of gaining a fortune and escaping from grinding poverty.  You’ll look in vain for stockbrokers, merchant bankers or payday money lenders in the queue for lottery tickets and scratch cards.  They prefer to gamble much more profitably and preferably with other people’s money, on the stock exchange!

I wait, probably in vain, for one of the political parties to include in their programme the reform of the income tax system to ensure that every adult citizen, rich and poor alike, pays the same percentage of his of her income to the Inland Revenue as their annual  membership fee as British citizens.  This reform would be the first step towards narrowing the vast gap that at present exists between the incomes of the very rich and the very poor and the transformation of the United Kingdom into a United Common Wealth in the future of which every citizen would have a stake and a responsibility.

'I shall not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till I have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land'.


Lord Hanningfield’s Legacy

          When the Police decided to take no other action with regard to Lord Hanningfield’s use of his County Council credit card to spend nearly £300,000 on business trips abroad, expensive meals and hospitality, I commented in this blog that there must have been sighs of relief from some of his colleagues at County Hall. .  Certainly his downfall seems to have heralded a new era of thrift there.

            The daily Gazette reports that Ms. Joanna Killian, the County Council’s Chief Executive appointed in 2006, spent £4,700 on her County Council credit card including a team-building exercise for five members of the council’s staff that included a trip to Colchester Zoo, various expenses during a weeklong trip to Jamestown, Virginia where she and a number of councillors took part in their 400th anniversary celebrations.  These included ‘a meal for 23 at the Old Original Bookbinders Restaurant that set taxpayers back £1,152.16 and a four-night stay for seven at Jamestown’s Berkeley Hotel that cost £3,436.59’   The purpose of the transatlantic excursion was to ‘create new trade and business links between Essex and Virginia’ ;. and did it, I wonder?   For Christmas 2007 Ms Killian paid Kingsmead Publications £331.35 for personalised corporate Christmas cards.

            That was then.  Now, we have a somewhat different story.  Since 2010 Ms Killian has used the card only seven times – six times for train journeys and once for the renewal of a subscription to the Local Government Chronicle. In 2011 her expenses amounted to just £259.   It seems that we have at least something for which to be grateful for Lord Hanningfield’s example!


No comments: