24 October 2012

Week 43 2012

Tendring Topics......on Line



Congratulations!

It really is an unusual pleasure to be able to offer unqualified congratulations to a senior member of the Government but I have no hesitation in doing so to Home Secretary Theresa May for her refusal to extradite computer whizz-kid Gary McKinnon to the USA.  Whether or not he was suicidal is surely beside the point.  I don’t think that it needed an expert in international espionage or a leading psychiatrist, to realize that this young (by my standards!) sufferer from Asperges Syndrome had no evil intent whatsoever when he hacked his way into some of the USA’s most secret electronic files.

If the USA feels that someone should be prosecuted for this affair, the individual or company who sold them a system that could be hacked into by a lone 42 year old in a distant land, might be a more appropriate object for their urge for justice (or could it be an urge for vengeance after they had been made to look ridiculous?) than this hapless British citizen.

If Gary McKinnon managed to hack into the USA’s most closely guarded secrets it cannot be impossible for someone else, deliberately and with much less innocent intent, to do so.  President Barak Obama might find it worth his while to despatch one or two of his own computer experts to England to have a polite and friendly chat with Mr McKinnon.  If asked courteously he might be prepared to tell them just how he did it and even, for an appropriate fee, help them to devise a system that is not just American-expert-proof but McKinnon-proof!

Footnote:   Where, I wonder, was the voice of UKIP in the McKinnon controversy?  Usually their strident voice is in the forefront when British sovereignty is being defended.  Their silence over this matter reinforces my conviction that they are motivated less by love of the United Kingdom than by dislike and suspicion of our fellow Europeans..

Growing old on the ‘Costa Geriatrica’

          That’s how I have heard our Essex Holiday Coast disparagingly described.  It is true that we have a higher proportion of elderly residents than most other areas in the United KingdomHolland-on-Sea in particular is said to have the highest concentration of pensioners in Europe!  For that, I have no doubt, there are two reasons.  Ours is a very healthy area so we natives tend to live longer than those elsewhere.  It is also a very pleasant area in which to live, with low rainfall, lots of sunshine and safe sandy beaches, so those who live in less fortunate regions often move here when they retire and are able to do so.  Surely those are features about which we should be proud, not apologetic.

            Old age does bring problems – not least, as I can confirm from personal experience, to those who achieve it.  When I was in my forties I remember thinking how silly seventy and eighty year olds were to cling so frantically to their independence.  Couldn’t they see how much better off they would be in a residential or care home – no more worries about preparing meals and washing up, about the laundry or the neglected garden, about fuel bills or house maintenance?   There would be no more loneliness, with plenty of contemporaries available to chat and share memories, and there would be medical and nursing care available at any hour of the day or night.   

            It sounded idyllic to my then middle-aged mind but now I am over 90, and clinging to independence myself, I well understand the fears of those old people half a century ago.  I find that shopping, preparing meals, doing the washing (with a reliable washing machine!), dealing with my email correspondence and preparing this blog every week, keep me fully occupied, avoid my vegetating in an armchair while watching daytime television, and prevent my thoughts dwelling too much on happier days in the past.   I am lonely only for the wife who shared my life for 60 years. I appreciate the occasional company of my contemporaries but I also enjoy a chat (I can only hope that I don’t bore them out of their minds) with younger people – the ladies at the supermarket check-out, the younger folk (that’s actually everybody!) at the Quaker Meeting and at the two Clacton churches I visit with a friend each week.  Then there’s the lady who spends an hour or so with me every Friday, preventing the interior of my bungalow from becoming a tip, and the gardener who slows down my neglected garden’s evolution into a wild-life sanctuary!  Nor must I forget the value of my mobility scooter (my ‘iron horse’) that gives me the independence I need to do my shopping, visit local friends and get to those church services and Quaker Meetings.

And, although it may sound fanciful in this secular and materialistic age, I don’t feel that I have entirely lost contact with my late wife while I remain in the bungalow in which we spent half a century together.  Often I feel her, always benign and loving, presence.  Somehow I don’t think that that presence would follow me into a care home.

My wife Heather – as I remember her towards the end of her life.

Towards the end of her life I went with her when she visited friends who were spending their declining years in residential care homes in Clacton (she was the visitor – I was just the chauffeur!) and I learned from my own observation that while some such homes were very good indeed, others were awful – with noisy, un-cooperative and antisocial residents and inexperienced, harassed and uncaring staff.

            Nor does remaining in one’s own home with the support of social services necessarily provide a happy solution.  Once again a government report (that the government chooses to ignore!) highlights the danger of contracting these services out to ‘the private sector’.  Investigation revealed that some private agencies were found to be using totally untrained staff, and even staff with criminal records, for personal and social care of elderly and disabled people in their own homes.  I remember seeing, in a tv documentary last year, a secretly taken video of a ‘professional carer’ giving an old gentleman a blanket bath, with a sponge in one hand while the other clutched a mobile phone pressed to her ear with which she was having a chat with a friend!

            Last week’s Clacton Gazette carried the shock/horror headline SHOCKING ABUSE OF OUR ELDERLY.  This did not relate either to care agencies or social services authorities, but to abuse of some old people in their own homes by their own relatives.  Age UK Essex Advisory Service (based in Thorpe-le-Soken) has found that some local families, impoverished by unemployment and rising prices, are bullying elderly relatives into handing over some of their money to them or, in some cases, stealing from their bank accounts by fraud
                                                                                                                  
Mrs Belinda Griffith, the service’s co-ordinator, said that there had been a surge of people taking advantage of elderly relatives since the economic crisis started to bite four years ago.  They had for instance not understood why one old lady’s finances were in a muddle until they discovered that her grandson was turning up on pension day and demanding money from her.  In another instance an unemployed woman had taken her elderly mother’s cashpoint card and was helping herself to money from her mother’s bank account.  The victim was reluctant to report what was happening, ‘because she loved her daughter and didn’t want to get her into trouble’.

Oh dear – how very, very fortunate I am to have reached the age of 91 and – so far – to have lived independently in my own home, without help from Social Services, with an adequate income and with a loving (and certainly never exploitative!) family and good and steadfast friends.  I only hope that, like my wife, I end my days here.

The Global Market – a blog reader’s view

My last week’s blog about the global market certainly struck a chord with a regular blog reader with a strongly developed social conscience, who is the founder and managing director of a small but successful private consultancy. It evoked from him an immediate and forcibly worded response.  Here – almost unedited – it is.

The story in your blog about your Royal Mail Envelope (made in China) was a small example of the absurdity of globalisation. Did you know, for instance, that almost all the souvenirs for London 2012, selling Britain to the world, were made in China?

If globalisation is taken to its logical extreme – and there is no sign that it will not be – then wages and taxes, working conditions and the welfare state are all pitched into global competition. How can an unskilled worker in the UK compete with a billion workers in India?  He is funding a National Health Service and an Education Service which his counterpart in India is not, and he has expectations of Employment Rights which the average Indian cannot even dream of.

 The mechanism by which this deterioration in the UK workers’ standard of living will occur is also clear and is happening already.  His UK employer will go bust, or go global and move his job abroad*. The worker’s  own desperate need to live more cheaply will ensure that he accelerates the process himself, by shopping around for the cheapest goods - made in the Far East. This of course creates a situation where the demands on the welfare state are growing and its cost is falling on a reducing number of better off workers, who themselves are being squeezed by foreign competition.  In the end they will want to cut all this welfare expenditure and be rid of the burden of funding the poor and disabled.  I can see that happening both in the UK and USA.

            I think the Tory party conference gave us a breath--taking glimpse of the future; endless multi-billion pound cuts to welfare (this got the loudest cheer!) progressively opting out of Europe; workers bribed and, in the end, forced to sell or forgo their rights to almost everything in exchange for a job. I realized with some amazement how far the Conservatives have come since the days of Ted Heath and John Major!

I cannot imagine how Cameron has been said to have “detoxified” the Tory brand or how he managed to keep the lid on this groundswell of extreme right wing opinion so that at the last General Election many voters felt that there really wasn’t much difference between the parties.

That email  reminded me of a verse from a rarely-quoted poem by A.E.Housman:

The signal fires of warning
Burn on, but none regard,
And so, through night to morning
The earth spins ruin-ward!

Not the whole earth perhaps, but certainly our small corner of it.


*Only yesterday (23rd Oct.) I learned that Birmingham Corporation (Britain's largest local authority) was out-sourcing its IT services to India and making members of its own staff redundant!


No comments: