23 May 2012

Week 21 2012 24.5.2012

Tendring Topics......on Line

 ‘Where the body is………

           ……..There the vultures are gathered together’; so says St. Matthew’s Gospel – and the vultures are certainly gathering round Greece’s moribund economy.  While top politicians from other, more fortunate (so far!), European countries, deplore the reluctance of the ordinary people of Greece to accept austerity measures that result in 25 percent unemployment, abject poverty and semi-starvation for millions, and early death for babies and old people at the very bottom of the Greek social ladder, others are making a fortune out of their poverty

             Ordinary Greeks see nothing of the millions of Euros generously donated by other European countries to ‘bail them out’.  Most of that money goes straight back in interest payments to the European and trans-Atlantic money lenders whose loans got them into their current position.  These bail-outs are not even ‘buying the Greeks time’. They are just lending them a little more time in which to make the money changers even richer. I am once again reminded of a satirical poem by writer G.K. Chesterton about a Mr Higgins, who ‘drives a weary quill – to lend the poor that funny cash that makes them poorer still!’

            One lucky recipient of cash from the all-but-bankrupt Greek government is Mr Kenneth Dart whose family fortune was established from the manufacture and sale of the ubiquitous plastic cup.   Mr Dart is an American citizen who has lived on Cayman Islands for years.  The Cayman Islands are a tax-free British possession in the Caribbean Sea much favoured by multi-millionaires who prefer not to hand over even a small amount of their wealth to the taxman.  Mr Dart’s very considerable fortune has recently been augmented by a cheque for 400 million Euros (£320 million pounds sterling) from the Greek Government.  They bought him off while they still had a few millions with which to do so.

            I don’t pretend to know how to solve ‘the Western World’s’ financial crisis.  It seems to me to result largely from fear of what may happen.  The most inconsequential events can make ‘the markets’ go up or down.  I am reminded of the way in which our Prime Minister and his government managed to create a nation-wide fuel crisis simply by suggesting that there might be a strike of tanker drivers.  In fact, we now know that that particular fear was completely unjustified.   Conciliatory talks were going on even as the Prime Minister was stimulating panic buying. There has since been a settlement agreed by both sides in the dispute.  There was and is no strike!

            I don’t know of a better way to organise our financial affairs more fairly and more efficiently than our current deeply flawed free-market/capitalist system – but am quite sure that there is one. I am equally sure that those very wealthy and very influential people who are doing quite nicely out of the present system will fiercely resist any attempt to change it.

Old Before their Time?

          It has sometimes seemed to me that in my childhood and youth most of us were expected to grow up and take on adult responsibilities at a much earlier age than is the custom today.  Most kids left school at fourteen, found themselves a job in a shop or factory or, in rural areas, on the land, and began to contribute to the family income.   My wife and I were members of a privileged minority who stayed at school until we were sixteen and, for the most part, secured white collar jobs in local offices.  I found a job in the General Office of Ipswich’s Public Health Department.  My future wife, when she left school at sixteen, worked in the London office of Unwin Brothers, printers.

            We both expected to hand over the greater part of our pay to our Mums. As a Junior Clerk/Student Sanitary Inspector my pay was seventeen shillings and sixpence a week (about 80p, though with a purchasing power far greater than that today!)  I handed over ten shillings (50p) of it to my Mum, and kept the remaining seven-and-sixpence.  It was expected though that I would save at least two shillings and sixpence of that ‘for the future’.  By the time we were twenty we all expected to be self-supporting and most of us confidently expected to be able to marry and start a family in our early twenties.  When, at eighteen I was called up into the Army, my Mum and Dad received a generous ‘billeting allowance’ for providing bed-and-breakfast and, with my two shillings a day army pay, I was better off financially than I had ever been! Nowadays all kids have to stay at school until they are sixteen and a very considerable number stay till they are eighteen and then carry on in further education for a number of years. Some are dependent upon their parents till well into their twenties.

            Although economically children today grow up much more slowly than we did, emotionally, physically and – in particular – sexually they are expected to develop and mature at lightning speed.  ‘Sex’, a mystery to us till we were into our teens and it forced itself upon us, is now taught in primary school.  Contraception (something I had never even heard of till well into my teens!) is taught to mixed classes. ‘Progressive opinion’ is that it should be taught at an ever earlier age.  The press, tv and radio are flooded with sexual images and suggestions. Teenage sex and teenage pregnancies are taken for granted by the press and by tv scriptwriters.  I remember an episode of Waterloo Road, well before the 9.00 pm watershed, in which a sixteen year old lad, after a night of passion with a female classmate of the same age, was commended as being ‘responsible’ when he urged her to take a ‘morning after’ pill.

 Little girls are eager to ‘grow up’ and become attractive to the opposite sex. Fashion and cosmetic retailers pander to this urge.  It is little wonder that unhappy and disturbed children become prey to those who flatter them, ply them with gifts (and booze and drugs) and groom them for their own purposes.  As a regular blog reader colourfully put it, ‘Schoolgirls dress as prostitutes and prostitutes dress as schoolgirls!’.  I used to think that children of my generation were expected to grow up too quickly and that we were robbed of the best part of our youth by the war.  We were certainly not robbed of our childhood quite so blatantly, and with quite such potentially dreadful consequences, as are the children of today.    

 Faithful Shepherds of their Flocks

            2012 is proving a fateful year for Clacton’s Christian communities.  Rev Anthony Spooner (‘Father Anthony’ to his flock) of St James Anglican Church has already retired and Rev. Chris Wood of Christ Church, URC Church, is leaving this summer to take his ministry to Stowmarket and neighbourhood  (the part of Suffolk with which I am most familiar!).  The Vicar of St. Paul’s  Anglican Church is also leaving as, so I understand, is the current Minister of Trinity Methodist Church and the local Minister (Commanding Officer?) of the Salvation Army.

            I am sure that every one of them will be greatly missed.  I shall particularly miss Father Anthony of St James’ and Rev. Chris Wood of Christ Church, both of whom – I hope I can say without presumption – have become personal friends.  I first attended a Sunday 8.00 am Holy Communion service at St James twenty or more years ago.  I had been brought up as a High Church Anglican but had lost my Christian faith completely. However I had slowly recovered it in the silent Meetings for Worship of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), of which I  had been a member for over forty years.   Sometimes though, I yearned for the sonorous words of the three centuries old Anglican ‘Book of Common Prayer’; hence, my attendance at St James’ that morning.

The rather splendid interior of St. James’    

I wasn’t disappointed - but I was very pleasantly surprised when Father Anthony, who knew me as a Quaker but knew nothing of my Anglican background, invited me to take the consecrated bread and wine of Holy Communion with the members of his congregation.  Subsequently I was a very occasional attender at that early service, and after my wife’s death in 2006 I became a regular attender.  About six months later I revived and renewed my membership of the Church of England (strictly speaking I had never left it!) and am now in dual membership of St. James' Church and Clacton local Quaker Meeting..  I find that the liturgical and sacramental nature of the 8.00 am Mass (that’s what we members of St. James’ prefer to call it), and the silent waiting on God that is the basis of the Quaker Worship in which I take part at 10.30 am, complement each-other perfectly.  Always I have found Father Anthony friendly and welcoming.  We certainly don’t agree about everything  (I don't for instance, share his deeply held objection to the ordination of women to the priesthood, and I am quite sure that my blog – of which he is a regular reader – must sometimes raise his eyebrows!) but I don’t think that that has dimmed our feeling of friendship.  He has a great respect for the Quakers and has occasionally joined us at Meeting for Worship. Then, of course, he becomes for an hour, simply ‘our Friend Anthony Spooner’.  Rev Chris Wood also has a high regard for Quakers.  A recent leading article in his church newsletter about Quaker values and practice brought a blush to my cheek – I would like to think that we always live up to his expectations!  He too, has occasionally attended Quaker Meetings for Worship and I was very pleased and deeply moved when, in July 2006, both he and Father Anthony attended the Memorial Meeting for Worship held at the Quaker Meeting House, to give thanks for the Grace of God made evident in the life of our late Friend Heather Hall.
       
                                                 Clacton Quaker Meeting house
I  have another personal reason for feeling warmly towards Chris Wood and his congregation.   Before his appointment and occasionally when, after his appointment, he was unable to be available at Christ Church, I was sometimes asked to lead the worship there.  It involved choosing the scripture readings and the hymns, leading the prayers, saying a few cheery words to the children (up to about a dozen of them!) before they departed to their Sunday School, and then preaching a sermon which, so the Church Secretary informed me, was expected to last for at least 25 minutes. It was a form of worship that was quite different both from that of the Church of England or of the Quakers, but I was prepared to do my best.  No one yawned or fell asleep, no-one stalked out of the church in a righteous huff – and I was invited to return and lead the worship again.  I can’t have been a total disaster.


Christ Church URC Church, Clacton

I enjoyed being ‘the Rev.’ for an hour – but it was exhausting and I certainly admire the stamina of those like Chris who have to do it as just one of their regular weekly tasks!  Nowadays a friend and I regularly attend the short service of ‘Celtic Prayer’ held every Thursday morning, and followed by ‘a cup of coffee, a bun and a chat’ in the church hall afterwards.  It is gratifying to find that a few of the older church members remember my  under-studying for Chris in the past. We also attend a brief mid-week mass held at St. James’ on Wednesday mornings.  This too is followed by tea or coffee, biscuits and a chat in the church hall.  The form of worship at St. James’ could hardly be more different from that at Christ Church URC – yet one thing that the members of their congregations have in common is the sincerity of the welcome given to strangers in their midst and the general atmosphere of warmth and friendliness that prevails in their presence.

            I have no doubt that much of this is the result of the encouragement and example of their spiritual leaders. My friend and I wish both Father Anthony and Rev Chris Wood happiness and fulfilment in whatever the future may hold for them




























           

           

           















            

No comments: