30 May 2012

Week 22 2012 31.5.2012

Tendring Topic.......on Line

Recycling

           Tendring Council has a major problem in attempting to reconcile a sceptical public to a recyclable refuse collection scheme that was introduced after little if any consultation and is proving to be almost unbelievably unpopular. For week after week the correspondence pages of the weekly Clacton Gazette and its sister weekly the Frinton and Walton Gazette have been filled with letters overwhelmingly critical of the new scheme.  This correspondence has overflowed into the corresponding pages of the daily Gazette, which covers the Colchester area as well as the Tendring District.

            When the scheme was first introduced, my own principal criticism was of the fact that no lid had been provided for the red plastic boxes intended for the reception of paper and cardboard for recycling.  I pointed out that rain falling while the filled boxes awaited collection would reduce the contents to a soggy mess, while high winds would be likely to scatter the contents far and wide.  I understand that that particular defect is to be remedied and that we will all receive lids (costing the council £1 per lid!) for those red boxes.  

            I fear that it is a concession that may prove to be too little and too late. Our existing green boxes (that we have been using for all recyclables), are now to be used only for plastic bottles (please remove caps and stoppers before putting in box!) and metal cans of all kind.  All other plastics, including those that have been collected for recycling in the past, are now to be put into the black plastic sacks for unrecyclable refuse destined for land-fill. The red and green boxes have to be put out for collection on alternate weeks, and we have been issued with a chart showing which week for each colour box.  In the past, if we had more recyclable material than would go into our green box, we were able to put it in a white or transparent plastic bag and put it on top of the filled green box for collection.  That is no longer possible.  Any overflow has to go into landfill.

We also now have two extra smaller green plastic boxes with hinged lids for kitchen and food waste.  This is a service said to have been introduced by popular demand – well, I didn’t demand it, neither did anyone I know!   The smaller box or ‘caddy’ is to be kept in the kitchen to be emptied when full into the larger one kept outside.  This has to be put out every week, with the black plastic bag and either the red or the green box, by the property boundary for collection.   I do try to co-operate.  Every week on the appropriate day my kitchen waste (in my case mostly tea bags, egg shells, banana skins and a few lettuce leaves), and either my green or my red box, and my black bag of unrecyclable waste, are ready for collection.  I find though that at age 91, I just can’t carry them to the boundary of my property. I know that the Council would arrange for them to be collected from by my back door if asked but, as the collectors arrive in my street shortly after 7.00 am, that would mean leaving my side gate open all night; something that I am not inclined to do.  However, I am very fortunate in having a neighbour who is prepared to take my boxes and black plastic sack out for me, and bring the empties back again.  Others are not so lucky!       Complying with the Council’s instructions and putting out the appropriate boxes on the right day is a bit complicated and time-consuming, but it can be done.  The scheme could work if sufficient householders were prepared to co-operate.  My observations suggest that this isn’t happening.

            There have always been some, probably a minority, of householders who have failed to support the Council’s recycling efforts.  They have put out several filled black plastic sacks every week but never a green box with recyclable waste.  I believe that minority has now expanded into a considerable majority.  Driving, in my mobility scooter up and down part of my road before and after collection, left me feeling that out of some 40 households, only ten or a dozen were fully co-operating with the Council's scheme.

          I can’t imagine how members of the Council will attempt to remedy the situation when they meet in emergency session to consider it. Attempt to bluff it out, hoping like Mr Micawber that ‘something will turn up’? Revert to the old system?  Abandon the food waste scheme and replace it with a glass collection that at least wouldn’t need a special vehicle?  One thing that they really must strive to do is regain the trust and confidence of the public, because without public support any voluntary recyclables collection scheme is doomed to failure.  The stick? The carrot?  I am not at all sure that either is available for use.  I await developments – and our next local government election – with interest!  

A Little Ray of Sunshine!

          In the midst of a double page in the Gazette for 25th May, filled with the problems of Tendring’s Refuse and Recyclables collection scheme, is a picture of broadly smiling Councillor Nick Turner, Tendring Council's 'cabinet minister' for Public Health, with the announcement that the ‘new scheme will save taxpayers more than £450,000 a year as well as increasing recycling rates by approximately 5 percent in the first year of operation’.  He adds that, ’80 percent of residents are recycling’ and, ‘The new service is still being rolled out in some parts of the district but we are extremely pleased with the results so far and I thank everyone who is taking part.  Tendring Council is collecting, on average, ten tonnes of food waste per round each week from the eight rounds.  If this continues, the council will far exceed its estimate of 2,600 tonnes a year’.

            Isn’t that heartening news?  I wonder what all those bitter letters of complaint were about, why the council is going to the trouble and expense of getting and delivering lids to the red boxes, and is holding a special council meeting to discuss the problem.  ’80 percent of residents are recycling?’ It is clear that Councillor Turner doesn’t live in the same road as me.   I am beginning to wonder if he lives on the same planet!

The Art of Parenting

          I think that Prime Minister David Cameron was probably right when he suggested that ‘bad parenting’ played a part in the creation of those riots last summer  (though I believe, nothing like as large a part as poverty and long-term unemployment).  I have reservations though about the suggestion that parenting classes for expectant and new mums and dads will solve the problem.  They’ll be useful, of course.  Goodness knows some young mums and dads need them badly. I fear though that it may well be those who refuse to attend them! I doubt in any case if they’ll play a significant part in preventing future antisocial behaviour, vandalism and truancy.  Only time will tell.

Ipswich’s Public Health Department where I worked from 1937 to 1939.  The photo was taken some twenty years ago when most of the Health Department’s functions had been taken over by the NHS. The building remained unchanged.        

There is, of course, nothing new in teaching expectant mums and dads about parenting young children and steering them through the first few perilous years of their lives. Before World War II Ipswich’s Public Health Department, where I was a very junior employee from 1937 till 1939, housed a Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic and a School Clinic as well as Sanitary Inspectors (they’re now called Environmental Health Officers) Health Visitors, district nurses, school nurses and midwives.   Both of those clinics were presided over by a doctor experienced in that particular field of medicine, while the whole organisation was headed by the Medical Officer of Health, another highly qualified and widely experienced doctor.  

            The Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic looked after expectant mums and young children below school age, advising and helping.   The Midwives visited the expectant mums in their own homes giving advice and support on a one-to-one basis. In those days most births took place in the mother’s own home.  After the baby’s birth and the immediate post-natal period, the Health Visitor took over, visiting regular and keeping an eye on the progress of the child and the competence of the young mum. 

The joy of parenthood.  My wife Heather, with our firstborn son in 1953.         

Although by 1953, when my first son was born, the NHS – not the local authority – was responsible for all those functions, the situation was not greatly different.  My wife, who had opted to have her baby at home (this was by then less common than it had been) received regular visits from the midwife before, during and for a week or so after, the birth.  Then the Health Visitor took over but she soon came to the conclusion that we were unlikely to prove to be ‘problem parents’.  One local government service that was available – when the UK was still struggling with debt incurred in World War II but which the country ‘just can’t afford’ now – was that of a ‘home help’.  Because of my wife’s medical history (she had had pulmonary and laryngeal TB and had survived crippling major surgery) she was accorded, free of charge, a home help, a friendly lady who came to us once a week to help with the household chores.  My wife and I didn’t go to parenting classes but, looking at my two sons today and remembering their childhood and adolescence, I think that we must have been reasonably competent parents.

            In any case, I don’t believe that the kind of parental neglect that leads to antisocial behaviour and, in extreme cases, to riots, does have its roots in those early days that are the subject of parenting classes.  It is much more socially important during the child’s and adolescent’s schooldays.   Those are the years when the absence of a loving and caring parents at home to welcome, support and generally take an interest in them really can affect their whole future.

            During my schooldays in the 1920s and 1930s my Mum was always at home when I returned from school, always eager to find out what I had been doing and to encourage me to get on with my homework.  If I went out in the evening she wanted to know where I was off to and with whom.  It never occurred to me not to tell her!  I always came home lunchtime (though we called it dinner time!) and so did my Dad.  Our meals were family meals.  I had a three mile cycle ride home from my secondary school, but we did have a two-hour mid-day break and, although there were cheap school meals available, I preferred my Mum’s cooking.

            So did my sons!  They too, came home to dinner every day and I was fortunate in always being employed near enough to my home to make it possible for me to come home too.  My wife never worked outside the home after we were married.  This was partly because of her frail physical condition but also because she found home-making and bringing up a family a satisfying full-time occupation.

            Nowadays that seems to be unthinkable.  Women ‘liberated from the kitchen sink’ are enslaved by the cash till, the restaurant kitchen or the shop or factory floor. During pregnancy they remain at work till the last minute and resume work directly they can find an affordable child minding service. Many children say goodbye to their parents soon after 8.00 am and don’t see them again till 6.00 pm or later. As a result many couples may be better off financially than either my parents or my wife and I ever were.  They may be able to get ‘their feet on the home ownership ladder’, have a second car in the garage and take an annual holiday on the shores of the Caribbean or the Mediterranean.  But they cannot give their developing children the care and attention that they (and the society into which they will grow up) need.  It is a form of child neglect that results in gang culture, antisocial behaviour, teenage pregnancies and petty crime. I don’t believe that parenting classes, however good, can ever compensate for a parent who isn’t there when needed. 


  









No comments: